Friday, July 20, 2012

The 30 List: Describe 3 legitimate fears you have


2. Describe 3 legitimate fears you have and explain how they became fears.

Well this makes me a little uncomfortable. I don’t like telling people my fears because there is some sick thrill most people get in scaring others. I DON’T LIKE BEING SCARED.
Alright, can’t give up on the second one so here goes:
1.       Grates

They’re everywhere: in the parking lot, on the streets here in Japan, blah blah. It’s irrational and completely ridiculous (as most of my fears are), but I honestly don’t know how or why I am scared of them. I feel like the grate might give out while I am stepping over it, and I’ll be dropped straight to the fifth layer of hell or something. Then there is the added bonus that a METAL grate caved beneath my weight (can we say “Moooooo”?). Honestly, I know it’s insane but I can’t help it.
2.       Spiders inside me
because anything other than clipart would freak me out
 I’ve had this fear since before the show “Monsters Inside Me” came out. I think it started in Girl Scouts oh-so-many years ago. There were flimsy mattresses that were used by the troops who were lucky enough to stay in the cabin at camp.  Apparently, one time the girls took the mattress out and it appeared that the mattress was MOVING. They opened up the mattress and out crawled hundreds of rats. One of the girls who had been sleeping on said mattress had a spider egg inside her… and hundreds of baby spiders crawled out of her. The story has haunted me, even fifteen years later. EVERY TIME I get a spider bite, there is slight panic that it is a spider egg, and I am going to wake up to find millions of baby spiders crawling out of my arm.
3.       Worm in my apple

In second grade, we got to go on a picnic. Nothing fancy, but a trip across the field to the neighborhood park and eat on the neat concrete benches with a checkered tablecloth. We all felt so fancy. When we got back to the classroom, the class clown was busy making fun of me when he bit into an apple leftover from the picnic. His face turned ghostly white and he screamed “THERE’S A WORMMM!!!!” He spit out HALF a worm into the sick, vomited, and threw the apple to me (with the OTHER HALF of the worm inside). It’s safe to say I’ve been scarred for life… and I ALWAYS cut my apples now instead of just biting into it.

1 comment: