Friday, October 14, 2011

Shark attack or attack sharks?

Ok. We've all seen the movie Jaws right? My brother and I woke up before my parents one morning (I will always remember this). We turned the tv down low, got some cereal and milk and ate right. in front. of the TV. Thus breaking three rules:
  1. no TV without parental approval
  2. no eating with the TV on
  3. absolutely NO eating in the living room
It was a glorious morning. After fighting over cartoons, we finally agreed on some movie with the beach and the ocean (yay! I thought, little mermaids and dolphins!!) and some awesomely adult sounding music. We made it through Jaws and half of Jaws 2 frozen to the couch, too terrified to move and/or change the channel. It was my dad who saved us, turning OFF the TV, gently scolding us for breaking all three of the above rules, and cleaning up the mountains of cereal while simultaneously trying to calm us down.

Everything involving water was terrifying. Baths, pools, and definitely the ocean. You never know, one of those sharks could just POP out of the drain and eat you in your own tub. Nothing was safe.

And then I grew up, joined the Junior Lifeguard program every summer and learned that shark attacks are rare. And when they do happen, the sharks are usually just confusing the surfers with sea lions. But sharks don't want to attack people. It's not a fun hobby or a favorite pastime, they are just looking for some food (food that is not human flesh).

Which leads me to a story I saw recently. There used to be a video, but I'm having an awfully hard time tracking one down to post

Anyways, here's the story in short: A boy was fishing with his friend, saw a shark. They put out bait for the shark and killed it.

Take what you will from the story, but to me it just seems like a senseless killing. I know the boy justified his action with the fact that "kids learn how to swim here"....... and I don't mean this to sound offensive but aren't there other places for kids to learn how to swim? Maybe like a swimming pool? Maybe somewhere NOT infested with sharks?

Secondly, (this part was in the video) the fisherman have effectively TRAINED the sharks to follow them into the docks. Throwing "bad" fish overboard has essentially created positive reinforcement for the sharks. Come into the docks, get fish. THAT'S WHY THE SHARK WAS THERE. If you don't want sharks around, the answer is pretty simple: stop feeding them

That's how one Georgian (just one, I mean no offense nor to generalize to ALL people from the South) decided to deal with things... and this is how some California surfers decided to deal with a baby GREAT WHITE shark who washed up on shore.

I know the chick's voice in the video is totally annoying, but still a great video
Surfers. Surfers, the commonly "confused" pray of the great whites, saved the shark. Respect the circle of life (sidenote: recently went to go see the movie in theaters and sang all the songs. Out loud. John cried in shame). 

GO CALIFORNIA!!! 

 On a happier note, I am obsessed with the Allstate Mayhem commercials. I think they are hillarioussss. I'll leave you with my favorite.
I'm all... OMG.

Lolz. Have a great Thursday everyone. And guess what?!? TOMORROW IS FRIDAYYYYY. Bazinga.

No comments:

Post a Comment