Saturday, April 7, 2012

I will travel across the land, searching far and wide...

First trip to Tokyo (well for sightseeing) was epic.

We started off the day with an errand... Since Robert and I switched companies, we had the pleasure of spending nearly four hours at the immigration office. Jonathan was lucky enough to join us, and a majority of the time was spent like this (and I tried not to scream with the kids, which you can see on the left hand side of the picture. They screamed and ran around the whole office- made me real excited to start work on Monday). 

Hour #987397
Fake sakura and giant panda in the train station!
 Then we hit the street market in Ueno!! So much fun, chaos everywhere. Apparently, this is the more "Japanese" street market, not the touristy one. I loved it!!
Photo credit: Jonathan Raney
 This was pretty much the most delicious pineapple I've ever eaten. I dream of it now, it was soooo glorious
Fruit on a stick, or as Robert says "The original fruit by the foot"
 For dinner, we had "Donner Kabobs". Ok, I don't know about anyone else, but naming a meat based food after the group of pioneers who allegedly (c'mon Beth Reedy, we all know what happened) participated in cannibalism may or may not be the best idea. But it was delicious anyways!!!!

Mine is on the left, I got original (delicious amazingness). When John ordered his (mix chili), the guy warned him by saying "Spicy!" John replied with "daijobu" (it's ok). I chimed in with "Suki desu!" (which means "he likes!!"). The man responded by pouring extra "mix chili" on John's kabob. Apparently it tasted like "the core of the sun". Probably the closest I've ever seen John to crying. Whoops. SO... for future visitors: Do not order mix chili. Unless you want to taste the sun.
Delicousness and the core of the sun.

Random shrine amidst crazy street market


After enjoying some Dippin Dots (one of the highlights of my day), we made our way to the Japanese version of Balboa Park). The cherry blossoms bloom once a year, so it was a definite must to see the beautiful sakura. Since we were there around sunset, we were able to see the gorgeous lanterns come to life.


 After, we made our way to the anticipated POKEMON CENTER (click here for awesomeness).
On the skinniest escalator ever

Giant PIKACHU!!!


The Raney boys at their finest.
 And for kicks, I HAVE to add this video to share it with the world. We are obsessed with it.
I've pretty much seen it 38302 times. And we're all dressing up as characters for Halloween (I'll be Misty, John will be Ash, and Robert will be Brock<-- Robert's favorite).

To end, a shot of Tokyo tower. Which according to Robert is like the Eiffel Tower, but prettier.
School starts on Monday- John and I feeling a wee bit nervous. I'll let you know how it goes!

Until next time minions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment