Monday, April 9, 2012

Yoroshiku onegaishimasu!!!

So first day of school. Over.


I'm officially exhausted. The excitement/anticipation/nerves (waking up at 6am after three months of sleeping in was a shocker too) definitely took a toll. So while I halfheartedly chomp down on a poor excuse for an ice cream bar, I'll fill you in.

We had the first day of work together (awww).
Suited up
I got to walk the death march to school... I'm seriously slightly worried about my life over the next year. All it's going to take is one little swerve from a driver and I'm pancaked up against the wall. Oh yeah, and I start biking tomorrow. It's about a 35 minute walk to my school (I have a further one that will be about a 45 minute walk on the same path).
The buses that came harrowingly close was quite a wake-up call
With each step, I got more and more nervous. I've never felt so unprepared for a job... Sure I've been through the training and working with kids for a million years butttt the whole not-knowing-the-language thing is kinddd of important. By the time I reached the teacher's lounge, I was shaking like a leaf.

A majority of the day was a struggle of communication errors. Did I want lunch? Yes, I like lunch. The result... me eating the rest of my breakfast pastry over my bag (so I wouldn't spill any crumbs). Go to the gym for opening ceremonies. Where should I sit? Sit anywhere! The result: me attempting to sit with the parents... sans the video recorder.

Andddd then I sat at a desk for seven hours. I am not joking. I read and re-read the textbooks (where I got upset over the Ueno Zoo WWII incident,) wrote a ridiculous and absurdly long letter to John, created three lesson plans for students I've never met or know their ability of English, and tried not to concentrate too hard on the clock.

At the morning assembly, I was in a constant state of fear. We were told we might have to give a speech in front of the entire school. I eventually found myself sitting behind the principal, vice principal and next to some strangers I've never met. Any moment now, the principal was going to announce that I would give a speech. I wouldn't understand and it would be sooo awkward. I was tensed up the entire two hours. Eventually, all the teachers were called to the stage (I think?). One by one, we bowed to the students and shouted "yoroshiku onegaishimasu!" It was freezing in the gym, which I credited to my insane trembling to. Funny how after my introduction... my body seemed to stop shaking. Weird.

This first week, I guess I'm not teaching at all. Teaching will start next week, which gives me seven days to become completely fluent in Japanese. Alright, now would be a good time to start sleeping on some Japanese books. Osmosis works like that, right?

Hopefully by this time tomorrow, I can write this from the comfort of our new apartment! John and I have been living there without internet while Robert is staying at the "old" place with the comfort of the interwebs. We make night treks over to stay connected with the world (and see all our red bubbles on facebook).

Alright all. I'm exhausted. Goodnight my minions. Thanks to all who have shown their support.... it seriously means the world.

3 comments:

  1. You're doing a great job, Jaq! I know the language barrier is getting to you. Just try you're hardest and everything will work out. Just think how awesome it would be to come home fluent in Japanese - well... at least orally! The written part may take 10-15 years. Just keep a positive attitude! Yay! You will be a great teacher, I just know it! Too bad Con and I aren't moving to Japan anymore... then again that wouldn't have been until January or so anyway, but maybe we would have crossed paths. Keep the blogs coming. I love to read them! :) - Allison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that sounded like a stressful first day. I’m sure each day will get better as you become familiar with the situation. Once you get into the classroom and see what the kids know it will be easy to plan your lessons. The kids will love you. Be safe on that narrow sidewalk. You and Jonathan looked great for your first day. Can’t wait to hear about day 2. - Patty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look like I have down-syndrome in this picture.

    ReplyDelete