Monday, March 12, 2012

EE-ruma


Today we explored the city of Iruma (pronounced “EE-ruma”, versus the gaijin way of “Uh-ruma”). We finally bought a comforter and futon to use when we move into a bigger apartment. For now, we are sleeping on Robert’s couch that lays down into a bed. 

Iruma Fire Department
Japanese Fire Truck
The most exciting part of today was probably COSTCO JAPAN!!!! It felt just like home- half Kirkland/American brand products and half Japanese products. There were blocks of Colby-jack cheese, flour tortillas, and more importantly the Costco food court was the exact same. While we gorged ourselves on pizza and hotdogs, a couple of Japanese kids next to us stared. I smiled and waved, but the little Japanese boy did not waver and continued to stare at me as I shoveled food in my face. Oh well. 

SOOO MANY PEOPLEEEE
Found in the seafood section. Octopus anyone?
On the left, seafood pizza (with shrimp). On the right, corn pizza
All John needs to survive... ketchup
In the past twenty four hours, even the little things have started to feel more comfortable. The money feels less foreign in my hands and the “Arigato gozaimasu!” feels more natural. We bought a train card today and took our first bus and train trip from Iruma to Hanno. Tomorrow will be our first day without Robert… He has been immensely vital to our survival here. I’m fairly certain that without him, I would have eaten all the cookies/candy/snacks I brought from home (meant as omiyage or gift for my co-workers) for every meal. Instead, he made midnight runs to get us dinner and breakfast PLUS treats. And let’s be honest- without him, The Water Incident of 2012 probably would have escalated to a full down breakdown in the sushi restaurant. 

You can pay for things at the train station (like snacks!) with your PASSMO!
While I was in the states, moving to Japan (even by myself) sounded like an awesome adventure that would be fun to conquer. Now that I’m actually here, I am so incredibly relieved that we have Robert to show us how to survive

Vitaminwater vending machine!
Until tomorrow, my minions- have a wonderful day (or whatever time it is in the states).

No comments:

Post a Comment