Sunday, January 15, 2012

Juhhpannnn

oh right. The biggest news yet...

4. We are moving to JAPANNNN
Super stoked. For me, it all started three years ago when JET pamphlets, papers, and folders would be shoved upon me with all- too- subtle comments from my grandmother. "You should really consider teaching in Japan, Jaquielyn. This is a great opportunity. You should REALLY look into it..." My answer was always the same. Thanks Grandma. I think I'm going to move to Hawaii and be a dolphin trainer instead. The former happened... the latter did not. Andddd cut to now, I still do not have a permanent career, I make barely above minimum wage, and am scrapping by on my bills, rent, and car payments. 

All of a sudden, Japan didn't sound too bad. I call it "pushing off real life". My friend Sarah always countered back with "You're moving to JAPAN. That sounds pretty REAL to me. You're living real life, Tango". We looked into programs (JET is impossible to get into), but the best form of reference was Robert. He is about to sign on for his third year teaching in Japan. He loves it just a tad, but was able to give us pointers on applications, what to put in the essay, and give us the best insight possible as to what the next year will hold for us. 

As I was amidst switching careers and John has just now finished his paramedic internship (woohoo), we thought what better time than now? We have no pets (ahem, minus Ankles Jumbaco), no kids, no mortgage... nothing seriously tying us down. LET'S DO IT!!!

So we're in. We're doing it. Next week, we will be moving staying with John's parents (I will forever be indebted to Patty and Dave for their generosity and kindness to their son's girlfriend) for three months before moving to Japan. 

The deets...
  • The contract is for one year. We start in March, end in April 2013
  • We will be living in the Kanto region... once we get over there we are going to go through a second round of interviews to see where in Kanto we will be placed
  • We will most likely be teaching elementary school kids, but there is the possibility we will be teaching middle school or high schoolers 
  • They know we come as a "package deal". Sooo ideally, Robert, John and I will all be living togetherrrr
  • YES, COME VISIT US. Please do... John and I think that there is about a 30% chance that the friends who claim to visit us actually will
  • My income will double after I recover the cost from the flights/initial cost of moving/any debts or loans that I owe

SOOO YAH. I don't think its hit me yet. The most thing I feel: anxious. How am I going to scrape up the $$ to get there and live? Through miracles and the generosity of people that I love... that anxious feeling is slowly starting to let up. I absolutely cannot wait to live in another country. Living in Italy was an incomparable experience to anything else. To be in Japan for an entire year will be frustrating and exhilarating but so incredibly amazing. I know that every moment will be worth it.
soon to be ROOMIES!!!!


I owe a lot to the Raney family...

Robert- for helping us with last minute essay edits and changes, putting in a good word for us with RCS, and of course thanks in advance for helping us get settled, putting up with me as a roommate, and enduring all the craziness

Patty & Dave- not only for being one of my few blog readers, but for their continued generosity. I am constantly amazed by how much they have welcomed me into their family and treated me so well. From everything to Christmas Part II to constantly opening their home to me without reservations. I am excited for lots of San Diego adventures soon!

John- oy. Ohsomuch. For tolerating me through EVERYTHING. For signing up for another year of Jaquielyn-logic and the grumpy monster I turn into when I have no food or sleep. For being so damn awesome.























1 comment:

  1. I'm a blog reader too! (You know I love stalking your stories. *sigh* Please, girl.) :D I miss seeing my cheer buddy Tango!

    Please keep blogging when you get to Japan because it sounds incredible and I'm incredibly jealous. :)
    -Erin!!!

    ReplyDelete