Friday, November 30, 2012

Summer Adventures: The LAST one



Right on time, eh? Finished right on the 30th, as I said I would.

We managed to fit 4 weeks of souvenirs and memories into our backpacks, make our way to the airport, score two ROWS of seats (so that we could each sleep comfortably) on the 7 hour flight, and score another row of seats at Haneda airport for our overnight crash. We woke groggily at 4:30 am to catch the first train home and spent the rest of the ride in a zombie state of jet lag, relief, and yearning for a proper bed.

It’s always a strange feeling, when you return to a place that is not really your home. Upon seeing the lights of Japan, I felt a huge weight lift. One that I hadn’t realized I was carrying. A sense of relief washed over me, and it was the strangest feeling. I can only imagine how it will feel to actually come home to America.
 I do want to thank some people, for which this trip and my sanity would not have been possible. I have no idea if the people on this list will ever actually read their thank you note, but here goes…

To my roommate, Robert, who successfully freaked me out about EVERYTHING. Getting all that stress out of the way made the actual trip more enjoyable, and I somehow “felt prepared” when things went terribly wrong.

To my parents, for giving me the opportunity to travel when I was young and instilling a sense of independence. Never would have seen the places I’ve seen without it. And for the most incredible hotel experience I will ever have. I’ve officially been ruined for all other hotels.

To John, for all the emails, spotty Skype conversations, waking up at 3 am just to see my face, for making home feel so much closer, for putting up with all the “When Emma and I…” stories (I’m sure they’re never ending) and for being ready to jump into a Taken-esque mission if needed. I always knew that you had our backs.

To Emma’s parents, for the ridiculously amazing meal we had on our last night. And for raising a most awesome daughter who put up with me for 4 weeks.

To Emma. For the endless FRIENDS questions, making me laugh constantly, standing up to rude cab drivers, taking care of me the 8,943 times I got sick, and making the trips one of the best memories of my life. I am forever grateful for our friendship and can’t believe my luck that you actually agreed to travel with me.
Last official pic of the trip- 5 am train ride
Lastly, to everyone who has been reading and commenting. Sorry this took so long and hopefully it wasn’t TOO boring. I love every one of you.

WHEW! It’s FINALLY done.

Later, minions.

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your wonderful stories.
    DON'T DELETE THEM.

    What will you blog about next?
    Patty

    ReplyDelete