Friday, November 16, 2012

Summer Adventures: Highlighter and Holiday Maker in Singapore




So, where were we? Ah yes, Raffles Hotel. For those of you who don’t know (I was not in the know until we went to visit the pretentious hotel). It was incredibly snazzy, oozing with old school glamour, and smelt like plumerias- EVERWHERE. And of course, it was the birthplace of the infamous Singapore Sling. Needless to say, they had the absolute best public bathroom EVERR.
I am going to attribute this next anecdote to the fact that Emma is a pureblood BRIT. But it honestly felt like she lived in Singapore her entire life. She took a .2 second look at the map and just knew what train line to take, what direction, how many transfers, the train timetable, and the current wind direction. I just blindly followed her everywhere like a useless leech until she decided it was time for some “Tube” mentoring. She would say “Ok, we need to get to Little India. Get us there” and then watch as I would talk out loud, shooting nervous and doubting glances at her. I only lead us astray a few times…
After my mentoring session, we headed back to the hostel to prepare for Emma’s college friend’s birthday/”H” themed party. Confused? PLUS, we were backpacking for the past four weeks. We (strangely) were not prepared for any sort of theme party. We made it work and had an awesome time
Emma and her college friend, Kris
 When we went dress shopping for this trip, I found this neon pink dress. Emma habitually talked me into it. I called it my “high lighter” dress. And BOOM! “H” themed costume. Emma got her best “holiday” stuff together and a “Holiday Maker” was born.
Everyone was incredibly nice and friendly. I usually revert to being a recluse in social situations, especially when I don’t know anyone. But within no time, I was doing my fake British accents, laughing and joking with the Brits and avoiding a toss in the pool.
Holiday Maker, Highlighter, Hannibal, Helen, a Hipster... and Abu?!?
The next day, we had one thing on our minds: The Singapore Zoo. We both love animals, and it made the “We absolutely MUST DO THIS” list. 

I actually had it (the Singapore Zoo experience/breakdown) as one horrendously long blogpost but decided to separate it into two. For next time minions. It's a story not to be missed...

No comments:

Post a Comment